Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Tesla: The Wrong Idea

    A couple weeks ago, as usual, I turned on my iPad Mini to see if there was any interesting new videos on the MotorTrend channel. I found a new Head2Head comparison featuring the Tesla Model S and the Mercedes-Benz S550. I was confused because: those two cars are vastly dissimilar, and I couldn't figure out what type of car the comparison was aimed at. Why are people comparing the Tesla to cars like the BMW 7-Series and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class? Those are massive luxury sedans with beautiful interiors, big V8 engines, and don't forget their 16-mpg avg. gas mileage. But the Tesla is a sleek, fast, eco-friendly sports sedan with an electric motor and an iPad-sized nav screen. So why compare it to that class of car? A proper comparison with the Tesla would be against something like the Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid or the Fisker Karma (now deceased), which are both aimed at the Tesla. But instead all of theses major car review companies are comparing it to the wrong cars. I know it's not my place to say which cars MotorTrend and Car&Driver should compare to which, I'm just saying that it would make more sense to compare the Model S to the cars it actually has things in common with, not cars that have close to zero similarities with it.





No comments:

Post a Comment