Friday, August 1, 2014

Comparison: 2015 Nissan GT-R vs. 2014 Audi R8

    When it comes to high-end sports coupes, most people think of brands such as BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Jaguar. But what most people won't expect is an incredible performer from Nissan, a brand known for small city cars and three-row people carriers. But their performance car, the GT-R, is a very worthy competitor, and I think it's only fair to put up against a benchmark sports car, the Audi R8. 

2. Audi R8 

    I hate myself for putting the R8 in second, but it was obvious that the R8 is not nearly as good as the GT-R. Sure, it might be a million times better looking and has a much better interior (and may I ask: who wants to pay $100K for a Nissan badge?). But the R8 falls short in several major categories, such as 0-60 acceleration, horsepower, and value. The R8 is $14,130 more than the GT-R, and is considerably slower. 0-60 in the R8 takes an almost slow (well, not slow, but slow compared to the GT-R) 4.2 seconds, but at least the top speed is 186 mph. I find the 4.2 liter V8 far preferable to the Nissan's 3.8 liter V6, but is much less powerful. 430 hp isn't that much anymore. Even the Dodge Charger SRT8 has 470 hp. But one of the positive points of the R8 is the interior. Not very complicated, but a nice place to be, especially with the quilted leather seats. Click here to go to the Audi website.




1. Nissan GT-R

    Personally, I don't like the GT-R that much, but I will admit it is fast. With a 0-60 time of just 3.0 seconds, the GT-R will keep up with a Lamborghini Aventador and a McLaren MP4-12C. My biggest question for the GT-R is how the twin-turbo V6 produces 545 hp and 463 pound-feet of torque. I find that almost impossible, but somehow, they've managed it. The interior isn't nearly as nice as the R8's, and almost looks like an old Nintendo console. I don't like it very much, and I could say the same for the rest of the styling. It isn't very pretty or sleek, and looks like an enlarged Subaru BR-Z. Click here to go to the Nissan website.





No comments:

Post a Comment